Please help asap, trying to get the synscan remote working

Hello all, we have a clear night and I have fresh batteries for my new synscan mount but when I input the long/lat and press enter nothing is happening and I want to see something :D

Is it me or can anyone help me remedy it so I can have a go at seeing something tonight? Pretty please :)

Well weird thing is if I press enter without entering it asks for time zone, and when I enter them it keeps going back to the last 2 digits like they are wrong but I am entering them as that site says they are, I will follow yours now and see if it works if that is what you think Nottinghams is?

Ok, give it a go during the day, at least then if you can get to the end of the set up you know you aren't going to be wasting your time the next night just for the sake of entering a wrong coordinate.

Have a look in the SGL Community Groups for East Midlands Stargazers, meet at Sawley near J24 of M1.

batteries went dead because I was talking to my neighbour:rolleyes:

I do understand what is needed now but I think I need the battery packas soon as it slewed itself to align and I had to put it back it died :) Ah well, had a good scan of the night sky and saw nothing but stars, I think my scope is limited to basically see nothing deep sky :D I didnt expect much, and I didnt get much, I know its the wrong time of year but thought I might find something but evidently not :headbang: Time to save for a dob goto me thinks! Ahhh bring on the winter when we have something to look at :)

I think my scope is limited to basically see nothing deep sky :D I didnt expect much, and I didnt get much, I know its the wrong time of year but thought I might find something but evidently not :headbang: Time to save for a dob goto me thinks! Ahhh bring on the winter when we have something to look at :)

I think you are jumping to conclusions about the capabilities of your scope on the basis of one night when things did not work out so well. I spent years using nothing bigger than 4" and 5" scopes and saw plenty of deep sky objects - you just need to perservere a bit and keep at it :)

Your scope will show you loads of things if it's given a chance !

Thanks for the replys, I was quite drunk last night and being distracted by my neighbours who kept coming out and stopping me mid flow cause they wanted to see something :) I did have it cracked but by the time I worked it out the batteries died so I think I will have to work out a way of powering it now, then I am looking forward to testing it out again. Was being a bit mardy last night I will get over it :D

And I know about the EM group but I opted to join the one at sutton obs for 2 reasons, I have done a basic astronomy course there and love their huge scope and 2 it is closer then sawley and easier to get to from where I live. Hoping that once I get the scope up and running I will be able to attend a star party at some point this year and get a bit more involved with the hobby and gain more knowledge on the whole "sky" and what is where etc :headbang:

Drunk and ditsracted is never good news with a telescope - its at times like that that disasters happen - honest I know from experience.

These things are never plug and play by the way and all this kit needs expertise, practice and patience. Patience in large doses too :)

I shall wish you luck, the paitience of Job and clear skies :D

Archived