NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zoom eyepieces - in the market & fishing for advice :)

I've been looking at a few zoom eyepieces, primarily for the simple convenience of finding my way round the sky again with the minimum of fuss, avoiding juggling lenses in the dark and refocussing and reacquiring target etc. This will be used with a 100mm f9 apo refractor.

My past experience with zoom eyepieces was an appalling Tasco one back in the '80s which was rattly, colour prone, blurry and had a tight FOV … went straight back to the shop and exchanged it for a couple of fixed focals. This has made me rather suspicious of zooms, but it sounds as if they are much improved these days.

The main one which has caught my eye and falls in budget is the Celestron 8-24, however I've also read good things about the Baader Hyperion which seems to have an update imminent. This latter though seems about double the budget, hmmmm.

Does anyone have opinions on these eyepieces in practical usage, comparative performance etc. I see Televue has one too, but like the Baader, it's overbudget new. Quite happy to buy a good one used, or maybe consider stretching to a Baader/Televue if the improvement in performance really warrants it. Anyone have comments on the Celestron zoom in practical use ? I've googled till my head is spinning, and done a bit of digging here too, but wouldn't mind some fresh advice on zooms.

I'm also looking for a nice 32(ish)mm plossl that doesn't break the bank… another decision to make :D

cheers

Dave

Hello, I just bought myself the Baader Hyperion Zoom, not actually used it yet but got it for a few reasons. Price, got mine second hand for just over £100, reducing EP's and because I can attach my dslr to it via an adapter ring.

Have a look at this thread though, "http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/100736-zoom-eyepieces-whats-your-take.html" some very good information from some experienced users of zoom EP's.

Thanks for the thread link Sly, thats good info :D

I'm already hooked on Astroboot, I actually snagged a couple of TAL plossls off there recently, a 7.5mm and a 40mm, for just over a tenner each, good bargains to be had, though the 40 is kinda hefty !

Any more comments on zooms ? :)

My advice on zooms is: don't get a cheap one if you want to use it for observing.

I have bought a cheap 7-21mm zoom (looks like the skywatcher one but is unbranded). I only use it for goto alignment now (find the alignment star zoomed out, then zoom in and center it). The EP doesn't give any sharp images at all. Stars always have fringes. The FoV is very narrow and when zoomed in it gets dimmer and dimmer. At 7mm I can hardly see anything at all...

... I actually snagged a couple of TAL plossls off there recently, a 7.5mm and a 40mm...

The TAL 40mm is an exceptional EP. Lovely crisp widefield views. It might not be as wide field as some EPs, but for a tenner, you wont be sorry! A real bargin.

Archived