Kowa field scope and saturn.

Hello all first post.

I have always had an interest in astronomy but being a birdwatcher i have a kowa tsn-4 77mm fluorite scope with a 30x wide and 20-60x eyepiece.

I have had astro scopes before over the years and had good views of saturn.

But! tonight was my best view yet,would my scope be any good for serious astro work,ok top mag 60x but when i looked at saturn tonight through it i honestly can say it was razor sharp and high contrast,best i have seen it.

Would i be any better with a small apo refractor like the equinox 80 or is mine just as good?

few questions there and not laid out the best but all your advice is valubale to me to decide wether to buy an astro scope or stick with my kowa.

Could the kowa scope of mine give any serious views.

Thanks All Gary

Hi Gary & welcome ! It sounds like you have a good scope already, but a limited upper magnification. Not familiar with your Kowa but as you have 2 eyepieces they must be interchangeable. If so you could measure the barrel part of the eyepiece that fits into the scope, and if it is exactly 1.25 inches ( 31.7mm ) then that is the standard size fitting for easily available astronomy eyepieces. If so, you could just buy more eyepieces to achieve higher magnifications with the scope you have. If no go with that, you have to decide if 60x mag is high enough for you. Although a lot can be seen at 60x or below, it is limiting I think. So you may have to consider another scope. How about contacting a local astronomy club for advice ? Most of them are very willing to help and perhaps see if their eyepieces fit ? If you need more on this, just post back here. Best regards, Ed.

Archived