NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13, in spite of puddles of dew

Takahashi

Setup by 9:30pm, started test-shooting for focus etc, shot a pile of RAWs for stacking, but in the end, this 60-second ISO3200 shot turned out to be the one to keep. Processing to remove sensor noise has taken it's inevitable toll, but not too bad.

This is my first attempt at M13, using an SW Equinox 100ED (courtesy of those nice chaps at FLO), and my 500D at prime focus. Focusing was done via Canon utilities on the laptop, shortly before the laptop screen became awash with dew. By 1am, everything was "drookit" as we say here; drowned, dripping. Can you guess what's next on the never-ending shopping-list? :D

Other than that, it was a successful (if short) session.

post-17238-133877447352_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter. This is a second attempt from the same shot, only the source this time is the CR2 RAW rather than the JPG. Converted to 32-bit TIF, re-curved and black-pointed, then saved as 16-bit TIF, and finally saved as JPG. Some colour got lost somewhere along the way, but the increased resolution was worth all the faffing about. I'm still a complete novice at this, so everything is a major victory. :D

post-17238-133877447614_thumb.jpg

Archived