NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unbalanced scope, sometimes

The Warthog

My newt is fairly easy to balance, front to back, when it is sitting level on the mount. When it is pointed at targets below 45 degrees altitude, I can often move it onto the target, and not tighten the axes, and the scope doesn't move. But when I have the scope pointed high in the sky, the weight of an X-Cel ep and a 7x50 finder on one side of the scope pull it around, and there is no apparent way to balance this out. Is this something we just have to live with?

I think this is more of a mount issue than a scope issue. Is this with the EQ3-2? I think it's just something you have to live with with this sort of "cheap" mass produced mount. You might get better performance if you stripped the mount down and replaced the synta-glue with decent lithium grease. Deisel is a good degreaser and im sure a man of your talents could accomplish this small project in a few hours.

Archived