Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 9 - Super evening

DarkerSky

Was out with my 16" yesterday evening for a couple of hours of darkness. The sky was the best it has been in a very long time. 5/5 transparency. Really quite superb.

I have generally taken my limiting magnitude here as 5.2. Last night however I could see Eta CrB and Omicron CrB with naked eye averted vision. Quite shocked to find that these are listed as magnitude 5.5 !!

Just goes to show what a bit of rain and a clearing sky in northerly airstream can do

Managed to bag NGC 6207 in Hercules and NGC 6478 in Draco, the latter of which is listed as mag 13.5. Very happy with that one.

It was one I actually spotted for the first time last week. Thought I would go back and give it more detailed attention. I did see what I have taken to be a core brightening, although it appeared offset slightly to the west of centre, so I do wonder it if is a superimposed star. It also seemed to take on a slightly curved appearance to the north of the core. I have put up a sketch in the sketching section :)

Archived