C6-SGT vs C8-SGT

I was going to purchase the C6-SGT, but the sales man talked me out of it and tried to sell me the C8, the price difference is 50%.

I know the C8 gathers more light making it better for deep space, I am interested in lunar and planetary viewing and AP using a piggy back mount with a DSL.

How much diffence will there be between the two for planetary viewing? for deep space? Is the difference really worth the

cost?

Would I be disappointed with the C6?

Any opinions would be appreciated

thanks

G

Great question. I too would be interested in knowing if it's worth the extra money for the C8, as these are on my uprade list.

Not having used wither, I cant answer accurately, though I would think that for lunar/planetary there wouldnt be much difference, but for deep sky there would be.

Once I started out, I found that my interests broadened from planetary/lunar onto star clusters and the bright deep sky objects - there's more of them to hunt down than there are planets.

I was in the exact same boat several weeks ago.

Only I got a very good deal with the C8-SGT and the price difference was only 25% or so.

So I went for the C8-SGT.

One of the reasons was that I want to use it for Astro Photography with a DSLR.

The C6 has a stopped down hole (1.25"), while the C8 does not (full 2"). So less chance on vignetting with 2" wide field EP's and large sensor cameras, like DSLR's.

And ofcourse the C8 is a larger apperture than the C6! :)

Eventho I had pretty louzy nights (the nights are getting too short now here in Norway. So it's very hazy and unstable). I am very pleased with the C8 and the few views it has given me so far. Moon, Saturn and clusters like Beehive.

Yes, the 8 inch will be better on everything. I went, once, from an 8 inch SCT to a 10" and the resolution on the planets jumped up a notch. I would expect the same only more so to apply to the 5-8 jump and on deep sky the difference will be huge. Good point above about the 2 inch possibilities as well. That is very important.

Olly

Yes, the 2inch capabilities were pretty important for me.

It was thanks to Russ who informed me about the stopped down 1.25" hole on the C6!

Eventho for the OP it's 50% more. If you have the budget. Do it I would say!

The prices of the C8 OTA is almost the same as the whole package with the CG-5 GT mount. (at least it was for me).

I myself, I do not like the constant buying, selling, buying, selling thing.

So I rather save up a bit more and go for something that will last me for years.

And that is exactly what the C8 will do for me.

The CG-5 GT mount is a very heavy, solid and stable mount. And can easily handle the C8 and even a small 80mm refractor as guiding scope (wich I am going to do later this year).

The mount also has an Auto guiding port.

And the GoTo handset is a breeze and works like a charm!

If you can afford it i would follow Jero's choice and take the C8. The 8" SCT is a very capable scope indeed, i miss mine so much. And the CG5 is perfectly suited to the C8. While the Nexstar handset is a breeze to use.

But do be aware of the difference in physical size between the two scopes. You might have to re-think your storage or lifting capabilities (not saying you're not strong, but you may have a bad back).

However, if you can cope with storage, moving and price, then get the bigger scope. Aperture is king!

But do be aware of the difference in physical size between the two scopes. You might have to re-think your storage or lifting capabilities (not saying you're not strong, but you may have a bad back).

However, if you can cope with storage, moving and price, then get the bigger scope. Aperture is king!

The difference between the C6 (4,54kg, 40cm length) and the C8 (5,67kg, 43cm length) isn't that noticable tho when it comes to storage and weight.

When it comes to the C9 1/4 it's a different matter. That one weights almost double (9,07kg).

The beast that will break your back here is the CG-5 mount. That one is one heavy beast. :)

Yep don't worry about the weight or size of the 8" SCT tube. It's both light and compact, very easy indeed to setup. It's more the cost, don't overstretch yourself.

Archived