NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First shot of moon with my old newtonian

molecub

Hi everyone,

I've been reading old and new threads and looking at the amazing images posted on this forum for several days and thought I should bite the bullet and post something myself - so here goes....

After the best part of 18 years under sheeting my Astro Systems 8.5" f/5 Newtonian (on a driven Vixen SP mount) saw first light on 23rd of April (well in 18 years that is :)).

I'd bought a 24mm Baader Hyperion eyepiece which comes pre-threaded to mount my Nikon D300 (via the necessary T-adaptors). Anyway, never having done any astrophotography I decided to have a first go at the moon with this set-up. The scope was unguided and I used autofocus with mirror lock-up and cable release - exposure was trial and error.

The results were individually disappointing, showing little if any sharp detail. So after a bit of internet browsing I decided to process the best 18 frames through Registax and CS3. Here's the result:

molecub-albums-moon-pics-picture4956-moon-23apr10-zz2.jpg

I've since bought a DMK 21AU04 and 4X Imagemate but so far have not had a chance to use them ;). I was disappointed that there wasn't a user manual for the included software 'IC Capture'. Can anyone suggest any online user guide(s) or recommend any other capture software that will work with the DMK?

Bruce:)

Archived