Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light - Widefield setup

So, I got to test it last night. After a very rough and ready polar align, sighting along the side of the axis, I need to refine that, I'm thinking a short piece of 15mm pipe, or perhaps narrower would do. I used my SLT60 (700mm) scope with a 9mm ep (the one provided with it) to try and adjust the tracking rate, it looked about right... in truth, I got bored waiting :D

I put the 450d and Nifty on the RSEQ1 and had a bash. I had fitted my SW LPR filter with a step down ring to the front of the nifty and focussed on Mars at 10x Liveview before fitting the camping mat dewshield. With the very rough PA and the slapdash speed setting, I was able to get usable 90 second subs. This is tweaked in GIMP.

IMG_3560.jpg

So I setup the timer remote, adjusted the target (I couldn't work out how to adjust the camera to fit Bootes in (as I'd used my 3 way head instead of a ball head, and had a run.

8 x 80 seconds (I forgot about the 10 seconds for the self timer when I programmed the remote, I went for 10 seconds instead of 2 as it's much wobblier than the HEQ5) and here's the stacked result.

bdadj.jpg

It needs a couple of minor refinements.. the sighting tube for PA, a small rubber mat to protect the top of the tripod legs, and perhaps a wide washer for the bottom, along with using a ballhead instead of a 3 way head.... But... It works :p

Thanks Peter, that is an option, but I was thinking about it last night whilst looking at the astroboot... how do you keep the finder scope aligned on the axis of the mount... that's why I was thinking of just a piece of pipe...although a finder would probably work just as well as long as it's fixed in place. Given my hope was for 60 seconds and that without much care in setup I could get 90s..

The other guy in the NL seems to be using that sort of setup.... wonder how he did it?

I did notice there was an EQ1 "dovetail" plate of Astrooot... perhaps a finder could be fitted to it and then swapped out one the PA has been done?

The boot has been raided.... :D... I'll work some way out... thinking about it, the collimation really may not matter too much. The drive accuracy may not be good enough to worry about it too much anyway.

it was a bit of a pain... but the 700mm scope with a 9mm ep made it easier... I could see the drift of Arcturus in the FOV. It probably could do with a bit of refinement, but I need to sort the PA first I think.

Archived