Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will be testing Basler cameras, ideas welcomed

riklaunim

I should receive Basler scout (scA640-120gm) for tests shortly, and Basler Ace in may when it will be available finaly. Both cameras use a new "planetary" imaging CCD sensor - ICX618 which is 2x more sensitive in blue, 3x in red and 1,8x in green than ICX098 used in webcams or Imaging Source cameras (similar for ICX424 from Atik Titan or Lumenera Skynx 2.0). In Europe the Basler Ace should be priced slightly higher than DMK21 :D

What this CCD can do is nicely presented here and here where Point Grey Flea 3 was used (the same sensor).

PG Flea 3 doesn't makes artifacts at high speed, so there are chances that new Basler cams also won't have this problem.

Ace features:

* The ICX618 sensor

* Ethernet connection, Power over Ethernet, up to 100-120 FPS.

* Will be/Should be supported by FireCapture

* Small, and not overpriced

* 8 or 12 bit RAW data

6ifnt4.png

I'm going to do some test images on Saturn and some other targets. I'll try to compare spectral response with DMK21 using Star Analyser... and more. Any interesting ideas for tests welcomed.

I've also want to do some filters reviews (like Baader methane filter, CaK, Continuum solar filters...) but main Polish Baader reseller didn't replyed yet :| Also narrowband test could be interesting.

The biggest challange is to move the scope from my flat to the oposite side of the block to see Venus :D

As for Venus I do have some plans - checking wratten #47 with IR-cut filter (but not UV-cutter) - as a cheap UV filter solution for imaging. On the IR side Astronomik owns :p

Archived