Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First view of Saturn

fo0

There always seems to be something special about the first time someone views Saturn. Well it was my turn tonight and it was a marvelous sight. It was my first night out too with the scope as it became clear enough to eventually take her for a spin.

I had some trouble with collimating and adjusting the secondary mirror. Can anyone tell me if after adjusting, the screw in the middle and the allen nuts do they all need to be tight right back up again?? This just put the secondary mirror out of line but I don't feel comfortable leaving them a little loose.

25.4.10 @ bout 11.00pm , Scotland.

Congrats on Saturn!

To be honest I'm not so sure about the secondary. On my scope I loose the center screw a bit then use the allen key to rotate untill the tilt is right, then I tighten the center screw all the way and it stays centered. I do have to hold the mirror on the sides when I tighten the screw or it will tilt a bit, it's a bit tricky and sometimes it requires a few tries.

I had no problems with this method and it holds collimation for long periods. When it's out of collimation it's usually the primary that needs adjustment.

thanks for the reply. Its a little tricky holding the secondary mirror by the edges as theres not alot of space to get in , prob whats puttin it slightly off for me. The primary is aligned jst the tilt i think. ;) Out tonight again I think.

Whenever you move the secondary you have tweak the primary after. Usually you do the secondary once. If it's properly secured it will stay good for ages, so you just tweak the primary after transport and such.

Archived