NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super slow meteorite?

Tim

Could be either.

I have witnessed a slow moving fireball once in my life with burning flames actually viewed leaping off the head of the object. In my notes I said

"Velocity was slower than any meteor. A long yellow/orange tail left behind"

Unfortunately I never recorded the time period I saw it over. I guess you dont when you see something like that - you just stand there in awe ! ;)

if it appears to be going slow (and it's not a Chinese lantern) wouldn't that mean it's either coming towards us or going away? or on some angle close to that? I hope it's going away!!!!

if it appears to be going slow (and it's not a Chinese lantern) wouldn't that mean it's either coming towards us or going away? or on some angle close to that? I hope it's going away!!!!

Maybe.

Alternatively, there must be a size / initial velocity / atmosphere drag ratio where something of a certain size at a certain angle drags in the atmosphere to such an extent that it slows up appreciably?

The one I saw in 1986 was just on a general east west trajectory with a tail that indicated normal lateral movement

Where's a physicist when you need one ?? ;):)

Archived