Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mizar & Alcor (I think)

Thanks for everyone's answers to the questions I've posted on this forum lately. I spent a little while this evening trying to get some images of star fields using my DSLR at prime focus - mainly with an eye to getting some 'now' pictures which I can compare to some 'later' pictures and hopefully pick out some variables, though this evening I was mainly experimenting with different ISO and exposure settings.

Anyway, I was quite pleased with this shot of (I think, my notes were not very good and didn't match up with my photos!) Mizar (top) and Alcor (bottom right). Might the fainter star be a member of the same system?

The second image is Arcturus and its (optical) companion.

post-18299-133877442666_thumb.jpg

post-18299-133877442672_thumb.jpg

Hi Jove , It is a great pairing . This link may be of interest Big Dipper, Alcor and Mizar as it has a 'mouse over' over the close up and also the main constellation piccy . The 'little fella' between is known as Sidus Ludoviciana .

PS I like 'mouse overs' on the occasional piccy and a few more would be welcome to 'get bearings'

Len E

• 1 month later...

I have recently been looking at mizar a/b and another double star algieba I think (off the top of my head) located in Leo, its very nice to see a picture like that :) I thought it was brilliant when i first viewed it through my scope

Archived