Upgrading a Celestron CG5 with an EQ5 Skywatcher Synscan GOTO upgrade kit?

Hi again - I understand that Synta manufacture both Celestron and Skywatcher products, and I've read that, apparently, the Skywatcher EQ5 and Celestron CG5 are the same mounts (albeit the CG5 has a sturdier tripod), but has anyone actually done this (or heard of anyone who has?) and, if it is possible, does it require any electrical / casing mods?

I've read about a product available in the States (an "iOptron GoTo conversion kit") which, according to their website, can upgrade Orion EQ5, Celestron CG5, Vixen GPD, and Meade LX75 mounts to GOTO, although apparently according to reviews, the manual isn't what it could be and it's a little noisy... However, this would seem to imply that this might be feasible(?)

Yes... You're right of course... I've been considering the full Synscan upgrade kit which includes not only the DEC/RA motors but a new motor board, control panel, hand control cables, etc etc which comes in at about £300.

• 9 months later...

Hi Michael,

Yes, this upgrade did / does work.... Two things to watch out for though:

1. As the kit was also made for the EQ3/2, the drive cog on the RA drive needed to be turned over. I found this out when I took it out and it was overslewing by 90 degrees to every alignment star (and therefore wouldn't align). This gave me quite a worry to begin with...!

2. After polar aligning the mount (with weights down), the slew to the first alignment star is WAY out and needs to be aligned manually (ie via the clutches, not the handset). After that, it's fine. A way of getting the first star a lot closer is by selecting a different starting position of the weights - You'll see what this is at the end of the 1st session when you park the scope. (For me, and I assume it would be the same for you, this was with the weights angled about 45 degrees towards the east).

Hope that helps...!

All the best

Andy

Archived