Difference in Synscan versions?

I'm looking to upgrade my grab 'n' go set up. I want to replace my ETX90EC with a Skywatcher EQ5 mount + a Synscan GOTO system. On to this I will mount the Orion 80ED I already own.

My budget will not allow for a new EQ5, so I'm after a secondhand example. With this in mind, I'm conscious that there are two versions of the Synscan controller I might come across - version 2 and version 3.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these versions?

The biggest difference is the V2 is NOT upgradable. It also has a smaller database.

V3 can be upgraded etc etc and has some fixes and improvements over V2.

Ken

Thanks Ken

Do any of these differences/upgrades make a signifcant difference to how the mount will perform or to it's connectivity to a computer?

Is there anywhere that shows what the differences are?

Same performance and general functions....

To connect to the PC/ planetarium program, in V2 you need to use the Utilities function in the handcontroller to set up for RS232 communications; in V3 this is automatic.

The Skywatcher web site has some details ( last time I checked) on the various versions and V3 upgrades.

Ken

Archived