Hello, new on the site...

... I never knew there would be so much excellent information on just one site, what a gem. In 2 days of searching on here I've learnt so much and have found a dark sky site close to london (not far from westerham in Kent) which I'll be checking out over the weekend, so I'll report back on that if anyone is interested.

Long story coming up...

I've bought a Meade LX200 OTA, Seben Binoviewer, shed load of eyepieces, power tank and a CG5 mount...all good so far and have used this setup a few times (weather/work) permitting, but when I do go a travelling i'm not going to have the luxury of patio furniture to sit on as I'll be transporting this little lot by motorbike (luckily it fits) and haven't got room for a chair. Now, the question is, do I cut down the tripod or is there some sort of mini tripod out there that'l fit the mount and will allow me to sit on the grass and observe???

Any info would be great :)

Motorbike and SCT???? All I can say is no! I have done a lot of motorcycling and a lot of astronomy but the vibration and general shuddering will really not agree with your LX200. You will certainly need to have collimation in mind before worrying about what to sit on.

Olly

Motorbike and SCT???? All I can say is no! I have done a lot of motorcycling and a lot of astronomy but the vibration and general shuddering will really not agree with your LX200. You will certainly need to have collimation in mind before worrying about what to sit on.

Olly

Hmm, wouldn't have thought it would be much more shaking around than if I stuck it in the boot of a car, probably less so as the weight differential would would be greater, thus meaning that the vibration of bumps would be more damped than in a car or van (you can feel this difference if you travel on an empty bus, loads of vibration and banging around, fill it full of people and it all becomes smooth)

:)

Archived