NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focus issue with 80ED and 1000D dslr.

simon84

Was out and about last night, managed to get the mount polar aligned and tracking beautifully.

So thought I would have a go at just getting some stars, keep it simple I thought.

I was using my 80ED with my EOS 1000D with an LP filter.

I was struggling to see anything through the view finder or with live view so took a 30 second image with the focuser all the way in and then a series of images until the focuser was all the way out.

Here is what I got, to me it looks like I need more back focus but could someone in the know just confirm that for me?

Cheers.

post-17668-133877438158_thumb.jpg

post-17668-133877438165_thumb.jpg

post-17668-133877438171_thumb.jpg

post-17668-133877438178_thumb.jpg

I thought it might be the case but I was desperatley running out of time last night. I'd chosen Arcturus, which ended being one of the last stars to dissapear before all the clouds came rolling in.

I thought I might be ok as the Equinox has a lot of travel but I have a couple of 50mm adapters which I will try on the next outing.

Thanks for the quick reply Steve, cant wait to move over to ccd imaging.

Excellent, thanks for the picture Steve.

With the clouds rolling in I ended up running about last night and wasn't thinking straight. After looking at the images that I got this morning I could see I needed more back focus and with a full size chip in the camera it makes sense.

I have a 50mm adapter handy so will give it a try next time I'm out there.

I was so chuffed that I had managed to get the mount polar aligned with the guide on your website and some help from here, its a shame I have to take it all apart at the end of the night.

Archived