Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Accesible dark sky sites in Kent.

Robbieg

Hello,

New to the forum and hope the chaps here can help.

I'm looking for accesible dark sky sites in kent.

i live right at the edge of London, so light pollution just about washes the sky out and I can just about make out Orion, its that bad.

The plan was to pack me scope up on my motorbike and travel to where the skies are better.

I can work out from a map where possible places might be, but could use some advice as to locations where I can just ride up, set-up and go, so accesible public land would be best.

Any ideas, please?:(

Romney Marsh is nice and dark , just down the M20.Not sure if its too far for you though

Just a little bit too far. Thanks for replying, though:)

I have found Chiddingstone heath is dark via some of the excellent maps on here.

Has anyone been down there/suggest somewhere i could set-up in the vicinity?

many thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm in a similar position. I live in north Kent, and always looking for a good, accessible dark site. Holly Hill, down near snodland was recommended, but it's heavily wooded, and not too easy to navigate and setup in the dark. Would really appreciate any tip offs you get ;-)

Archived