Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first real view of Saturn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twotter

I wasn't intending going out tonight but when I realised the kitchen was flooded with light from the Moon, and that Saturn was probably in a position I could view, I changed my mind!

Knowing my telescope had minimal time to cool down I wasn't expecting a great view once I lined it up through the RDF. 25mm EP first and there it was...a pale yellowy white disc with a straight line through the middle! Totally stunning to see, even though it was exactly what I expected, but it was a real 'wow moment'. Swapping to my 12mm EP was better, though the 10mm EP that came with the telescope gave the sharpest view. I tried using the barlow but it blurred the image too much.

Anyway, I sat and watched Saturn drift through the FOV and could clearly see four moons, which Stellarium tells me are Titan, Tethys, Dione and Rhea.

Sharing tonight with Mrs Twotter made it even more special.

We even managed to tear ourselves away from Saturn to view the Moon, with my favourite 32mm EP, and a brief view of Mars, until the cloud came scudding over.

A very special night :):D:D

Its funny how something so small to look at, can keep you looking at it for so long!

I had my first view of it in my new 250pds the other night, and altho there was a slight haze in the sky along with the moon, i just could'nt take my eyes off it....its one of those special moments we'll probably never tire of. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm the same. I could just look at it for hours.

I managed to see the 4 moons you mentioned too, I was hoping to see another one or two as well, maybe I'm asking too much though!

It's so nice to have Saturn back though isn't it, feels like its been away from years!!

A night out on my own tonight. First port of call was a look at Mars. It's much harder to see than my first look back in January. The disc is so much smaller and although I couldn't make out much detail the ice cap was visible.

But the main event was a return to Saturn. The 12mm EP + 2x barlow gave the best view and I must have spent 15minutes or so just letting the planet drift through the FOV.

The seeing wasn't great but there were definite moments when the view sharpened so more detail was shown. I know the rings are very tight but I could just see a little gap on the inside of the rings closest to the planet.

Lovely :)

Archived