NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D v 450D Dark Noise @ ISO800

I left the 1000D and 450D cameras capturing Dark Sequences in the OBS last night under the control of Yoddha's APT Software...

20 frames were captured at 300, 600 , 900 and 1200 Seconds with 30 seconds left between each frame at ISO800

In camera Long Exposure and Hi ISO Noise reduction were both turned off...

I shot Raw + L Jpeg and have assembled the middle Jpeg from each set of exposures into a Comparison Chart that can be downloaded from here...

Its a 6MB Download and needs to be viewed zoomed to compare the images...

Theres no point in posting a thumbnail as all the noise would be lost...

Peter...

The smaller pixels on the 550D might be offset with better gapless microlensing as well...

Its nice to have 2 instances of a single app controlling both cameras from the same computer as well

Yoddha is doing a might fine job with APT can't go wrong for the money really... :)

We did find something out with it if your using Antivibration Delay with Digic III based Cameras - I guess he may add more info... and there's a workround for it...

Peter...

Interesting comparison, thanks.

Photography and astronomy hold equal sway for me, and thankfully they are nicely compatible. To that end I have just upgraded to the 550D :) The ISO comparisons I have seen for it looks like quite a nice step up.

Now that sounds interesting Peter... Hopefully he will... I've not had a chance to try it yet... I suspect I don't actually really need to worry about using mirror lockup with my current setup...

Its the fact that you can get away with a very short inter sub gap (I leave 30s which is plenty of time to make sure the camera saved the data to the card and PC ) with both cameras that makes them so useful and was the main reason ffrom moving on from the 350D ...

Need to get an 62mm R72 filter for the 350D now as its likely just to be used for IR work from now on...

John,

Me niether... the software implements Mirror lock in a few different ways and its better to use either the 2s or 10s self timer trick which it supports and automatically adds the tiem to the exposure duration... I was rather worried though when i first tried using it using the arbitary length mode...

Peter...

One has to be rather careful with these comparisons. There is a similar test here, where the 1000D looks noisier to the eye than the 450D. But if you look at the graphs lower down you see that the 450D, although it has a lower mean dark signal, has a higher standard deviation than the 1000D (and is the standard deviation which matters).

NigelM

Archived