Skywatcher 250P FlexTube judders

Hi, I've got a Skywatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube AUTO which I bought a short while ago.

I'm really pleased with its performance. However I'm finding it difficult to extend the tube smoothly, and sometimes it just won't budge. I've tried WD40 but the problem was the same, so its not a friction issue. It's probably caused by the close tolerances of the design.

I have no problems collapsing the tube - there is a knack but it I can collapse the kit very smoothly every time.

I find that the stiffness of my 300P varies greatly, presumably due to expansion/contraction with temperature. Sometimes when I pull up I'm able to lift the scope off its bearings before it starts to budge, and have to force it down to close. Other times it's like butter. Certainly the tolerances are close.

did you buy it new? has it been like that since new?

i would have a word with the retailer. its possible there is a fault.

if its a used scope then maybe its been knocked about and has twisted the frame slightly?

Purchased new from FLO - never bashed about.

I find that the stiffness of my 300P varies greatly, presumably due to expansion/contraction with temperature. Sometimes when I pull up I'm able to lift the scope off its bearings before it starts to budge, and have to force it down to close. Other times it's like butter. Certainly the tolerances are close.

Yep! That sounds like mine. Different rates of expansion for different metals perhaps.

I reckon so. Haven't really studied it closely but I have a feeling it's easier when it's cold. I don't consider it a problem but if yours sometimes won't budge at all then that sounds like a problem! I'd suggest looking at temperature - is it perhaps kept in a warm room? Or maybe I've got it the wrong way round and a bit of warmth makes it easier. Where I also notice the differential is with the dust caps - they can be stuck on tight or dropping off loosely depending on temperature.

Archived