NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observation Report - 21/03/2010

Bobcat

Well here's my observation report from last night.

Need to start making notes now.

Time: 21:10

EP used: 25mm SW (127 MAK supplied), 16mm Skywatcher ExtraFlat, x2 barlow, moon filter.

Order of viewing:

Sirius - Used for Goto alignment - star 1.

Mizar - Doubles resolved brilliantly on the 25mm. 16mm was even better.. but putting the barlow in wtih 16mm really showed the split. Used for Goto alignment - star 2.

M81 & M82 - Faint to see and needed 'averted' gaze to really see it using the 25mm EP. 16mm improved the view but still needed averted gaze. Don't know whether I need a filter to improve contrast or something. :)

M52 - Open Cluster - Used the 16mm for this and it was fantastic. Nice sharpness and detail on individual stars. Put the barlow in and it looks even more amazing, but the 16mm view was the best

M36, M37 & M38 - Open Clusters - Once again used the 16mm for this. The best one I found to view was M37. Nice structure and sharpness of individual stars could be seen. Did not attempt to put the barlow in, just continued to gaze at M37. :headbang:

Mars - 16mm gave a nice orange disc. Couldn't make out any details on it, probably due to my bad eyesight. Tried the barlow and was just a bigger orange disc. Need some more practice in viewing Mars before it disappears.

Saturn - 16mm gave a nice sharp view of the planet and it's two moons could be seen easily. One was Titan but wasn't too sure which the other one was. Need to looksy it up. Couldn't make out any features on the planet though. Put the barlow in with the 16mm EP and Saturn showed up nice and big, however preferred the view in the 16mm so removed the barlow.

Moon - needed the moon filter for this. Used the 16mm for this and view was filled completely with the moon. Very nice contrast and view. Fantastic sharpness. Put the barlow in and was stunned by how good the image was. Spent a while looking at crater ridges and shadows :mad:

Conclusion:

1) The 16mm EP is brilliant for me, coz of its oversize eye-lens. Very happy with the sharpness and FOV in it.

2) Galaxies and Nebula still continue to evade me. Not sure whether it's my viewing technique or limitation of the scope or maybe I'm expecting to see something like

3) Beginning to like viewing open clusters as the scope shows them very well and I'm preferring to view them compared to the fuzzies. Will have to start making a list of which ones to view.

Nice report Bobcat.

Being a F11.81 scope you will find it harder to see deep space stuff like galaxies and planetary nebulas, it's not impossible but your scope doesn't have the light grasp of say a F5 scope.

As for adding a little contrast try a Neodymium filter, I have one and I find it does cut out a little LP and makes galaxies have a touch more contrast.

I'll have to look at getting a filter sooner or later .. still reading up between the O111 and the Neodymium and decide on one soon.

Although not worried about DSO stuff at the moment, Open and globular are good enough for me (at the moment) :mad:

Maybe once I get some outdoor storage sorted out, I'll get a nice big Lightbridge like yours :)

Bobcat no point in getting a O111 filter. They only bring out detail in planetary nebulas and the odd nebula such as M42 and the Veil. get yourself a Neodymium first as this will help with the LP.

Archived