Hi!

Got my 7.5mm TAL today but there was no eyepiece cover to go over the lens area at the front! Is this normal? It does have a cap for the metal end.

Looking at it in daylight through the scope its displaying a lot more 'dust worms' than my other ep's although this is my highest power.

Starting to feel like I may have been sent a second hander!

Also, although I wouldnt combine it with my new Vixen barlow lens (another post about this later!) in reality, it doesnt quite fit in to it - it's a little too wide. Is this true of all TAL eyepieces?

Sounds like you got an old one.

1/. When Tal eyepieces were last imported to the UK(it has been a few years now), they came with just the barrel cap. Is the eyepiece lettering engraved or screen printed? The box it came in should say 'Made in Russia'. The eye lens should have a purple-ish tint when held to the side. The reason I ask is that Skywatcher made a similar looking line.

2/Sounds like there's dust on the field/barrel end lens.

3/ The later Tal eyepieces should all fit fine in standard 1.25" focusers. Very early('90's) eyepieces were a slightly bigger size. Later models fixed this, when Tal changed their focusers to the standard size also. I had the full range and all were fine.

Did you buy it new? I guess it's been on the shelf for quite a while.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. The box does indeed say Made in Russia and there is a purple tint to the lens. As for the lettering it's engraved. Had another go at sticking it in the Barlow and it's ok now. A little bit tight is all. Cheers mate. I can see also that the TAL do not normally come with caps so all is fine! ;)

Try to check that the dust is on the lenses rather than in between them. Dust on the lens is no real problem. It can be blown or brushed off with one of those squeezy dust brush thingys for cameras.

My 7.5 was, ironically, a bit stiff going into my Tal telescope but it fit well into all my other brand accessory's like Barlow's and so on.

Do make sure you haven't been bunged a skywatcher one by 'mistake' given that they sent the different Barlow.

Archived