Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

imaging advise much needed

Hi all, after seeing what can be achieved on this forum with imaging, it has inspired me to give it a go. I`m not sure if it is for me though as after reading some threads relating to imaging, it seems an expensive, time consuming part of astronomy. Not without its rewards though (allways in awe of the many pow`s), hence my next question.

Assuming im pretty much skint all the time of late (you assume right), is there any basic equipment i can attach to my scope to give me any reasonable results for a small outlay? The moon would be my first target. I have no goto so cannot do dso`s yet but still would love to take some close pics of our moon. my scope is listed below. also, do my ep`s have anything to do with imaging?

Many thanks for any replies, also i think my partner will be in your debt if i take this up, she will no longer be dragged away from her hobbies to marvel at the night sky.... there will be pictures all over the house me thinks ;)

john

Hi

I bought a modified webcam off SGL in October last year, which has now become rather superfluous due to purchasing a mintron and DSLR. This is the original advert: http://stargazerslounge.com/completed/90375-sc1-5-spc900nc-lx-webcam-1-25-nosepiece.html

If you are interested, I would be willing to let you have it for £45. I won't claim that it is the easiest camera I have ever used on my telescope, or that it produces the most perfect pictures, but it will give you a chance to experiment without costing you the earth. [The drivers need to be downloaded from the Phillips website as I don' have them on disc, but I can direct you to the right ones.]

I'm doing this as a post rather than a PM so you will have the chance of seeing what others [possibly more experienced than you:)] think of the deal and can therefore make a more informed opinion.

PM me if interested [no rush].

Thanks.

EDIT: Just checked original advert and it states original lens included, which it was, but can't remember where I put it, so it may not be included if I can't find it - just want to be accurate.

If i

Your scope should do a good job on the moon with a basic webcam (or Celestron Neximage, which is a good way of buying a "ready to go" solution).

If you have the f/5 version of the scope you will find that the image scale is rather small even with the 2x barlow. And sorry but the 2x barlow that comes with SW scopes isn't very good. Get a good quality 3x or 4x barlow for imaging. Eyepieces are irrelevant, they do nothing but sit in the case when webcam imaging is taking place.

Archived