SkyWatcher EXPLORER 130mm V Orion SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector Telescope?

Hi

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice please.

I'm looking to get into astronomy but I'm not sure which of two recomended Telescopes to go for. To my untrained eye there does not look to be much difference between the two, so any advice on which would be best to purchase, or if I should avoid both, would be greatly appreciated.

They are:

Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-130 130mm (5.1") f/900 Newtonian Reflector

Specification:

Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

Magnifications (with optics supplied): x36, x72, x90, x180

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x260

Diameter of Primary Mirror: 130mm - 30% more Light Gathering than 114mm

ALL Sky-Watcher reflector mirrors are Multi-Coated with Silicon Dioxide as standard for Optimum Durability and Long Term Performance.

Telescope Focal Length: 900mm (f/7)

x2 Barlow Lens

Primary Mirror

0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

Red Dot Finder

EQ2 Equatorial Mount

Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray

Sky-Watcher EXPLORER-130 130mm (5.1") f/900 Newtonian Reflector

or

Orion SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector Telescope

• An affordable but very capable telescope
  • 130mm aperture and 900mm focal length for great all-around viewing performance
  • Includes sturdy tripod and equatorial mount for hands-free celestial tracking
  • Includes two eyepieces, finder scope, focuser, collimation cap, and FREE Starry Night astronomy soft
  • One-year limited warranty

Orion SpaceProbe 130 EQ Reflector Telescope

Thanks

Mal

Orion is made by the same manufacturer as SkyWatcher, so they will be 99% the same. I would recommend 150/750 newtonian - the first realy usable good newtonian that can do planets, and can do some DS depending on the sky. With one-axis drive you can also start lunary/planetary imaging (and not so long DS imaging), and this scope doesn't loose a lot of value.

Orion is made by the same manufacturer as SkyWatcher, so they will be 99% the same. I would recommend 150/750 newtonian - the first realy usable good newtonian that can do planets, and can do some DS depending on the sky. With one-axis drive you can also start lunary/planetary imaging (and not so long DS imaging), and this scope doesn't loose a lot of value.

Hi thanks for that advice, but I think 150/750 newtonian is slightly out of my price range ;)

Have you considered a dobsonian mounted telescope ? The Skywatcher Skyliner 150P is cheaper than the 150/750 and offers more telescope for your money than the 130/900.

Peter

Yes I had considered an Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic but at £235 with shipping it was too much much.

But I hadn't considered the skywatcher dobsonian, so thats 3 to consider now....Thanks Peter:confused:

So the best value for money for a beginner would be a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P ?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, I just really want to get the best that I can afford and I don't want to buy something I'll regret in a couple of months.

If I had the choice between the 130/900 and the 150 Skyliner I know which one I'd choose. The only regret I would have is not buying the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P.

Peter

So the best value for money for a beginner would be a Skywatcher Skyliner 150P ?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, I just really want to get the best that I can afford and I don't want to buy something I'll regret in a couple of months.

You won't regret getting a dobsonian - they are simple to operate and give the best performance per £ available. The simple design allows most of your money to go on the optics which is where you want it to be of course.

Archived