Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Filters Question

With baader filters, it it possible to use a 2" filter in one of the hyperions and attach the 1.25" bit after the filter? Was just thinking that if that is the case, and thinking I want another couple of hyperions, and having the 2" SW panaview, I could get away with just getting any filters I wanted in 2" If this IS the case, can you do it with all makes of 2" filters?

I can see where you are coming from here. I use a 2" filter (not a Baader but they are all a standard thread). I put mine onto the bottom of my 1.25" - 2" adaptor (with a small extension on it to make sure no eyepieces will contact the filter). I can then swap eyepieces, 1.25" or 2" to my hearts content with the filter staying in place. You may need a different 1.25" - 2" adaptor to achieve this (I don't think the standard Skywatcher one is threaded for filters) but i does make life easier and less fiddly in the dark !.

Hi TopHouse

You should be able to do it with any 2" filter, although I've never done it myself. By adding the filter you will also be changing the focal length of your Hyperion. According to Baader specs, a Baader 2" filter with a height of 8mm will change your 8mm Hyperion to a 6.9mm one. Basically, it's using the filter as a fine tuning ring.

Hope this helps,

Richard.

Archived