Took the plunge

As a child, I remember my father teaching me about the constellations, pointing out major stars, and showing me the planets. I've always been fascinated by the night sky, and on my weekends in the country I sit outside at times looking for shooting stars. Beyond that, I have little knowledge.

However, this week I purchased an Astromaster 114EQ, motor drive, and the Zhumell 1.25 eyepiece and filter kit. You guys have probably heard this before, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The boxes arrived, and like a kid at Christmas I unpacked them to see what I had. Phew. Those are a lot of pieces. I think I got it put together correctly, and I'm waiting for a clear day to give it a test shot.

As I read the manual, I see there is going to be a learning curve. Aligning the scope so I can find things using the software is going to take some practicing. Many of the terms used are new to me as well. Still, I'm excited.

I've done some reading here and gotten some great tips. Thanks! Anything I might need to know to use my system most effectively? Tips and tricks?

First thing is to pray for clear skies because without them you are going nowhere.

Then download Stellarium it's a freeware planetarium and will tell you whats in the sky at any time.

Also get yourself a copy of "Turn left at Orion", a great beginners book that will show you how to find these onjects.

I love the fact that astronomy can hook us all at a young age and even if we don't know it, the night sky draws us in and we find time for it in our lives. Enjoy your scope and the forum. Clear skies.

Mike

Thanks! This came with "The Sky®" Level 1 planetarium software. Is Stellarium better?

I have never used The Sky but I would imagine so. Another free one is Cartes Du Ceil but it can be a bit daunting and a little harder to use, but I consider it much better.

The Sky software shows me whats visible, and the RA/Dec etc. I'll have to figure out how to align my telescope before those become useful, though. I'm going to have to do some more reading, though, since things like the sun show -3 Dec which I would have thought would be below the horizon, so obviously my understanding of this is wrong.

Regardless, I'm excited to figure it all out. Looks like a crappy weekend for viewing here.

Martlett

I've heard so many newbies rush out onthe first night of clear skies and suddenly find out how little they knowabout their new equipment.

I'd recommend three things foranybody with a new telescope

1 Read the manual! And try to understand it. That's easier said than done usually. They're far from perfect but they do provide some insight into how the scope and equally important, the mount, should work

2 Resist the very strong temptation of setting the scope up in the dark for your first nights viewing ... until

3 You have set it up a few times in the warmth of the house and understand how all the bits function together

Good luck

Steve

Martlett

I've heard so many newbies rush out onthe first night of clear skies and suddenly find out how little they knowabout their new equipment.

I'd recommend three things foranybody with a new telescope

1 Read the manual! And try to understand it. That's easier said than done usually. They're far from perfect but they do provide some insight into how the scope and equally important, the mount, should work

2 Resist the very strong temptation of setting the scope up in the dark for your first nights viewing ... until

3 You have set it up a few times in the warmth of the house and understand how all the bits function together

Good luck

Steve

This is excellent advice from Steve.

In particular the equatorial mount will take some getting used to if you have not used one before (see the many other posts from newcomers to the hobby on this topic as evidence !). A dark and beckoning cloudless sky is so frustrating if the scope won't go where you want to point it :headbang:

Archived