Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P DS version

Robfal

After using an ED80 for so long my first thoughts were 'Oh my God it's huge' However dutifully unpacked and mounted it onto the mount. It certainly makes the ed80 look small

I must say I am very happy with the build quality; the focuser is silky smooth (although I've not ever used a moonlight to compare it with). The scope is surprisingly light for it's size but it reasonably well balanced. Certainly the EQ6 Pro has no problems with it.

Visual image clarity seems very good, however it was bought and figured as an imaging scope. The atik 16ic + filter wheel mounted fine with the supplied adapters and easily found focus around the middle of the focus range. I can't comment about a DSLR however I'm now eager to try. I've also fitted my Skywatcher autofocus motor the scope (initially on the side without to dual speed knobs however I'm sure I should be able to connect it to the fine adjuster) This certainly makes focusing much easier, particularly as regards vibration.

Images seem very clear and obviously taking much less time than with the ED80. I've just posted a couple in the imaging section.

Overall I'm really impressed with the scope. Both build and image quality seem to be excellent. The does not appear to be any signs of vignetting or coma although I am using a small sensor camera. I've also not yet taken calibration frames (I will need to make a new flat frame light box (or maybe an el panel)

Rob

Archived