Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any suggestions for a small scope with limited view of the sky?

Awesome skies tonight, but the 70mm refractor I have isn't up to picking out DSO's. I have seen the odd globular cluster but they are so faint that it's like a needle in a haystack trying to pick them out.

I have a limited view from a 4th floor balcony facing NE. Ursa Maj is right infront of me and indeed looks awesome, but sadly I think M82/81 and the whirlpool galaxy are beyond reach for now. I have looked at Mizar, and split Xi UMa as well as Polaris, but now i'm stumped what to do next.

I'd really like to get my sights on some colorful binaries, but the big popular ones seem to be on the other side of the sky.

Does anyone have any recommendations for interesting things to gander at in the NE area? Is there anything interesting going on with the stars that I could track, for instance? Variables that differ over the course of days/weeks etc.

Many thanks,

A somewhat disheartened John, lol :)

Thanks I did see M3 - its at the limit of what I can get at with this scope. Was a faint fuzzy but was still awesome to see.

Saturn is always a treat :)

I will take a look at Cephus tomorrow. Thanks!

John

Archived