NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big old telescope needs some help

This is the telescope belonging to Cleethorpes and District A.S. It is DIY (bet you would never have guessed that) and getting on for 40 years old. It is a 16 inch Cassegrain but can be used as a Newtonian by switching the secondary for a plane mirror. The optics are good but with the increase in light pollution around it it's now very difficult to find DSOs. Unfortunately it does not have setting circles but I was wondering if there was some other possible way of using RA and Dec co-ordinates. I know that Dob users are successfully using Wixeys for Alt. and can use a type of digital compass for azimuth readings, but can these be used or adapted for an equatorially mounted scope? Or does anyone know of another solution.

post-15108-133877427827_thumb.jpg

You can get digital setting circles (DSC) like the Argo Navis, and others which are very good.

Wildcard Innovations - Home of the Argo Navis Digital Telescope Computer

Google DSC's I'm sure there are many good units available.

The telescope will get another lease of life ( for another 40 years!) with these fitted...

Ken

Archived