LX modified webcams

...no not that 'which one is best' question:D

My laptop has neither serial nor parallel ports. Is there a cheapish way of connecting to a modified webcam? Has anyone, for example,

used a PCMCIA parallel port succesfully? Or configured the mod for serial control, and used USB to serial converter ? I plan to go the SC1.5 route, which I believe requires 3 or 4 'bits' therefore parallel port only.

Texy

I use both a serial controlled LX SC1.5 webcam, and a parallel controlled SC1 webcam.

I have used the parallel port directly, but I have also used a parallel to serial adapter (then a serial to USB adapter) to run the LX mode.

With the serial port one I've used it directly through the serial port, and also via a serial to USB adapter.

I modded the SC1 myself, but bought the sc1.5 one already done. I'm not sure what you would like to know but I've found no difference in either for simple LX mode, as a guide cam, and buying a usb to serial adapter will allow you to use it with your laptop.

HTH

Adam

Hi again Texy

Looks like you're following my route into photography. I have the SPC900 with the SC1.5 LX mod - my laptop is entirely USB. The mod sends pics down the serial line and you'll need the ser/usb converter to feed a modern day laptop.

Take a look around this site:

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

I got my conversion here and it all works fine. Andy's a nice guy with loads of advice and explanations if you give him a call. They also stock active usb extensions, hubs, converters etc all guaranteed to work with their mods. Costs one or two quid more than other brands but you'll know it works for peace of mind.

Cheers ;)

I,m an electronics engineer by trade so I,m happy to do the mod myself.

I just got to decide if I,ll ever need the extra long exposure that SC1.5 gives.

My understanding is that 1.5 needs 4 lines of control, so is connected to a parallel port connector. If I only went to SC1 then only 1 line is used, and can be built to be controlled via a serial port.

Again, if I understand correctly, people here are going

webcam - parallel to serial converter - serial to usb converter - laptop usb

If I went SC1, I,d only need the serial to usb converter, not the parallel to serial conv as well.

I have two other issues. My laptop is running vista. My webcam is a toucam pro II. I have successfully changed firmware to make it a SPC900 and it works fine on my XP PC, but I duffed up the SPC900 drivers on my laptop, and it will not work. I guess I need to get that sorted before I do anything else.

In the mean time I,ll contact astronomiser about his converter, as it doesn't mention vista compatability.

Cheers,

Texy

Yup "webcam - parallel to serial converter - serial to usb converter - laptop usb" is exactly my configuration. Firmware change to make it like spc900 is cool and I do remember having a bit of fuss to make drivers work on Vista - can't recall the exact steps but a bit of a fiddle and it worked fine eventually. The Vista drivers can be obtained from Phillips website or Astronomiser.

You might be interested to know that I didn't use the supplied software for the camera. Instead I use "wxAstro Capture" which has more/better features for astronomy and is free to download.

Cheers ;)

I'm still learning to set it up at the moment (not much documentation around) - it does AVI's but I've not captured anything yet. However - it's specifically designed for astronomy so it has options and features not found in supplied webcam software like AmCap. Andy recomended it at Astronomiser. I'll let you know how I get on with it once the weather clears up and I get out there - I'm planning on a 4-day intensive session at Kelling come the spring equinox. ;)

OK Cool - are you capturing stills or avi's, or both? I,ve read that one of the advantages of using the spc900 over the toucam is an extra codec that gives

less or no compression.

Texy

Yes, you can capture YUY2 codec, which is better that the other two.

I've used my Toucams with my vista laptop with very little hassle. As long as they are (flashed to) spc900nc, just download the driver off philips website and plug and play.

My SC1.5 modded toucam runs from a serial port, with amp off, LX, fan, takes stills and AVIs, so I'm not sure where you have read that it has to be parallel based, unless I've mis-read what you have written above.

Regards

Adam

Adam,

I,ve wrongfully assumed that as the SC1.5 mod needs 4 lines to be controlled, the serial port is ruled out. I,ve certainly missed the serial version of SC1.5 off the circuit on Steve C's website. Perhaps I need to google some more, unless you have a link handy?

I am currently trying to get my laptop to see the webcam again. I,ve uninstalled the drivers, and attempted to reinstall them again. My account on the laptop is administrator level, and I,ve downloaded this driver from the philips website :

SPC900NC_NC_DWV_ENG.EXE

I also right-clicked and ticked the 'run as adminstrator' button.

I then run the file and near the end of the install this error screen pops up :

This is all before I plug the webcam in, although I have tried with it in and the when asked for drivers from vista, pointed to them.

spc900-1.jpg

I,m pulling my hair out with this:rolleyes:

Texy

That's a bit odd. I'm not sure how I managed it so easily tbh, but I just downloaded the drivers off philips site, and run then, I also installed Vlounge, but I use WXastro for capture.

I bought my SC1.5 BW off Astronomiser so I've no links to making one yourself so to speak. I did my own SC1 mod on my colour toucam but you are familiar with this one I think.

Sorry I can be no further help, hope you get sorted with the Vista prob asap though as there is nothing more frustrating that software problems arrrgh!

Regards

Adam

Spent most of last night trying to sort out these drivers and still failled. I might have to resort to a fresh install of vista on the laptop. At least I,ve sussed out the correct circuit for serial driven SC1.5, which is on Steve Chambers website on another page.

It can be built as an adapter, giving flexibilty of still being driven from the parallel port if neccessary.

Texy

I've had a similar problem with other software and drivers on Vista. The one thing I suggest is to totally remove any prior installations before putting a new version on. Especially configuration files which Vista seems overly keen to retain for some dumb reason. I find if I remove the said softwares config file manually before doing an uninstall via the control panel - subsequent installs will work ok and get round the setupApi problem.

It's a longshot I know but worth a try ;)

I,ll give that a go cheers. I think I used the control panel to remove the files before.

Its a question of finding them though. I even went through the registry last night and removed all instances of 'philips' that it allowed me to remove - didn't help :-(

Texy

Archived