In catalogs, it's given a number

BD+48 494

GSC 03286-01335

PPM 44266

TYC 3286-1335-1

AG+48 202

2MASS J01384754+4911199

SAO 37398

Yes the details SAO 37398 are on the documents also.

What does this mean ?

There have been a dozen or so replies to my post but I don't have any clue as to what any of them actually mean. Could someone translate into English ?

What does this mean ?

There have been a dozen or so replies to my post but I don't have any clue as to what any of them actually mean. Could someone translate into English ?

Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Star Catalog

What does this mean ?

The same star can have many designations, it just depends on what catalog the information came from. Think of it this way.. you're one person, but you can be known as a son, brother, nephew, uncle, friend, etc... it's kind of like that. :eek:

Forget about all the tech info, it's overkill... all you need is to know where your star is, and how to find it. The best and easiest way is to contact a representative of a local club and explain your situation... i'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

Here are the different designations to bring with you:

SAO 37398

PPM 44266

BD +48 00494

TYC 03286-1335 1

One last thing.. be aware that this area of the sky is on its way towards the western horizon by the time it gets dark. There's still plenty of time to see it, but remember that the nights are also getting shorter and shorter.

Archived