NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS and Saturn

This moronings 06:42 ISS pass was FANTASTIC! I was set up out side with the new 20x80s. Located Saturn, low, to the west. Nipped in for the 114 Newt to get it cooled a bit, and returned to the binos.

Right on time, ISS appeared lower and further west. Bright, very bright indeed mag -2.6 (although it looked more through the binos) and coming over fast. I quickly caught her and gained what focus I could on such a bright object, following her until Saturn came into view, I then held Saturn in the top right of FOV and allowed ISS to really fly by across the FOV, below Saturn.

I then panned back to ISS, always able to keep her in the widefield of the 20x80s.

Her max. altitude was about 49 degrees, which was about possible without out having to reset the mount, she remained very bright until she dropped back down about 30 degrees. According to HA, around 5 minutes and 20 seconds duration. It was then that I was able to distingush two flares, I'm assuming one from either cell "wing". Really fascinating to see this and I followed down into the brightening dawn sky, past the empty tree branches until, finally, she dropped from sight below my horizon. My heart welled and the voice in my head spoke he words "God Speed John Glen". All rather moving really, thinking not only of the personel on board ISS, but all those pioneers.

I then turned to Saturn through the scope where I think I was able to observe a moon, but will need to check first.

Nice one yeti

Weather here in North Lincs was pretty cloudy most of the night but I noticed a few breaks here and there around 5.30 so I popped outside just to have browse. I was really amazed by the clarity of the stars hardly any twinkle and the sky was inky black.

As the weather has been so poor for months I have been out in short spells quite often either using my 10×50 bins or just visually having a browse before the cloud,rain,sleet,wind.snow....

Hoping for a good sustained period of CLEAR SKIES!

Alan

Celestron CPC 925

Vixen LV 40

Tele Vue Radian 18

Tele Vue Radian 12

Tele Vue Nagler T6 9

Canon1000D

Wow...that is inspiring YM. Just reading it gave me goosebumps! Makes you glad to be alive under the night sky, doesn't it

Got my 1st look at Saturn this apparition a few nights ago. Wonderful to see the shadow of the planet cast upon the rings ;)

I'm hoping for better views of Saturn in the morning, before next ISS pass (in the BIG binoculars AGAIN!). I've been recollimating the 114 again this afternoon, my secondary just didn't want to be central, but I finally convinced it. I'll see how much of an improvement I've made later I hope.

After a couple of cloudy mornings, I awoke to see stars through my window. It was 05:30. Up and dressed in minutes, scope out cooling I set up the 20x80s and checked on HA to see if there was a pass due.

Sure enough, another, west to east, mag.-2.8 long duration pass, in a clear sky.

I was able to pick up ISS very soon after flaring, the tripod behaved wonderfully smoothly, after I had stripped and lubed the mount, only my aging knees let me down as lost ISS for a few seconds. I kept looking up from the eyepieces to take in the scale again, until the flare started to dim.

ISS started to fall across the sky, keeping her in the FOV of the 20x80s, ISS had the impression of acceleration! As the ground came across the FOV, I stopped tilting and just allowed ISS to continue falling away across the pale blue sky, disappearing, at last, behind the stable roof.

• 1 month later...

Archived