Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some 10 x 50 personal 'Firsts'

solarbreeze

10th Feb 2.30-3.30 am GMT

U.K / Northwest

Mars was in cancer and just below it to the left, I kind of accidentally picked up a marvellous cluster I hadn't [consciously] seen before.

Dashed inside and cranked up Stellarium which revealed it to be Praesepe [The Beehive]

Lingered awhile and discovered that there was another smaller, somewhat more distant and fainter cluster [M67] to be had within the same constellation.

Went out again and I'm pretty sure I pinged that also.

Later on, found another great cluster overhead which turned out to be the Coma Star Cluster.

Part of the fun within my resurgent interest in astronomy has involved scanning the sky for significant 'visibles' and then identifying precisely what it is that I have seen, and learning more about it..[them]

I really like this method as opposed to using an established binocular 'guide' which suggests what may be seen, names it, and advises you where to look for it. I just think the method I'm employing adds to ones sense of discovery.

Not only that...but there's far less frustration.

To actually see something first and then dash of to identify it somehow feels more natural than to identify something in literature, and then dash off to find out of one can 'see' it.

Especially with the inherent limitations of 10 x 50 binoculars.

Mick ;)

The Bee hive, I can see why they call it that. I saw that cluster while at work, but no stellarium there so I didn't know what it was called. Thanks I'll see if I can find it again.

10x50s are excellent, so portable. I like to roam around with mine and when I find something "new" then try to get the scope on it. And now, of course the BIG bins, which are obviously great light gatherers, are like having to move a small scope around.

Hope it clears later, there's an ISS at 06:42 ish.

10th Feb 2.30-3.30 am GMT

U.K / Northwest

Mars was in cancer and just below it to the left, I kind of accidentally picked up a marvellous cluster I hadn't [consciously] seen before.

Dashed inside and cranked up Stellarium which revealed it to be Praesepe [The Beehive]

Lingered awhile and discovered that there was another smaller, somewhat more distant and fainter cluster [M67] to be had within the same constellation.

Went out again and I'm pretty sure I pinged that also.

Later on, found another great cluster overhead which turned out to be the Coma Star Cluster.

Part of the fun within my resurgent interest in astronomy has involved scanning the sky for significant 'visibles' and then identifying precisely what it is that I have seen, and learning more about it..[them]

I really like this method as opposed to using an established binocular 'guide' which suggests what may be seen, names it, and advises you where to look for it. I just think the method I'm employing adds to ones sense of discovery.

Not only that...but there's far less frustration.

To actually see something first and then dash of to identify it somehow feels more natural than to identify something in literature, and then dash off to find out of one can 'see' it.

Especially with the inherent limitations of 10 x 50 binoculars.

Mick ;)

The coathanger (Collinder 399) is a lovely sight in my 12x50's.

It's the asterism imbetween Vulpecula and Sagita but you probably wont be able to see it just now, shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I saw M104 last weekend. I was just binoing around with my 10x50s and in the south saw a v obvious triangle pointing eastwards to a double star and just to the east of that was a nebulous smudge.

Firing up StarrySky s/w I have convinced myself I have seen M104 Sombrero Galaxy (although it could have been the Deerstalker for the amount of detail I could see)

Any idea if this is likely with 10x50s?

Yes,M104 can be seen in your 10x50's if the conditions are right. I can't catch it with mine due to having a lot of light pollution south of me. It's all those gas street lights in Dobcross :)

I have trouble seeing M51,give it a go when Mr Moon goes away. I spotted it last year from a dark site. M101 keeps eluding me. M81 and M82 are pretty good in 10x50's. While your up north. Have a sweep through Cassiopeia and try NGC457.

Lots to see with 10x50's.

Archived