Stellarium ocular simulation

I have recently bought this EP kit David Hinds Ltd and thought I would add them in the new ocular plugin in Stellarium.

They all (bar the 32mm) have a aFOV of 52o - whats the Focal lenght? is it the mm of each piece and how do I get the field stop of each one?

I also have some included EPs that came with my scope - how would I find out the above details so I can enter these too?

Hi.

Yes the number in mm is the focal length of the eyepiece.

The field stop can be seen, if you turn the eyepiece over and look up the telescope end of it. You should see a machined piece of metal close to the lens. You have to measure the inside width of it. Not easy unless you have a pair of calipers.

I might be able to find a link to a page somewherethat has measured sizes. I 'll have a look.

Cheers,

Andy.

Here's the link to the page.

Telescope Reviews: Buyer's Guides to Eyepieces/Accessories

Look for eyepiece buyers guide. Then look for 'attachments' in that message. Click on it and download it.

If the attachment won't open, you also may need to download 'Microsoft Excel Viewer' if your pc doesn't have this programe already. Go to the microsoft site and download the viewer programe from there.

Cheers,

Andy.

I'm suprised that the 32mm is not also 52 degrees - the 1.25" format will certainly allow that FoV although the field stop has to be virtually the inside edges of the chrome barrel.

40mm 1.25" eyepieces max out at 43 degrees so when you do the maths you don't get to see any more sky with them.

Archived