Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What to do ?

gaelicstorm7

Hi Guys,

A the beginning of September I’m off to visit the in-laws in Northern Ireland, according to Starry Night the moon isn’t too badly placed for the first few nights I’m going to be there so clouds permitting I’m hoping to get some imaging done. Equipment wise I’m taking the EQ6, the Megrez, and the Celestron C8-N, and the 350D and lenses (will also have the wife’s 300D to use), what I’m interested to know is your suggestions what to have a go at imaging ?, my thoughts were as follows. Based on the fact that I’ve not got “goto” so have to try and find everything by eye and if the sky’s as dark as I remember it’s difficult to spot whats what as there are so many stars !

Firstly –

Set the 300D up on a camera tripod, point it at the pole and try to capture a nice startrails image or two, what kind of length of exposure would you think would give a good effect, 30 minutes ?

Meanwhile have the EQ6 set up with the Megrez on it initially, for some piggyback widefield stuff with the 350D. I want to try and get a better widefield of the Cygnus area and also some closer shots of the NA Nebula and the Veil using the 70-200mm f4 “L” if the sight is dark enough do you think I stand a chance of capturing them ?

Then move onto some imaging through the Megrez, maybe M31, M13, M33 and anything else that catches my eye !.

Then maybe put the Celestron on the EQ6 and try a few through that beastie.

Any thoughts ?

Alan

Archived