Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Feb 1 - Syrtis Major at last !

DarkerSky

Well I took advantage of the slower than forecast approach of this cloud and got out earlier with my 16" scope trained on Mars again. Seeing was a bit better than the last couple of times, and I used a red filter to help see more detail.

16" Mag x295

Red Filter

Seeing 3 (sometimes 2)

CM 335 degrees approx

21-10 to 21-45 UT

Mars01Feb2010.jpg

Syrtis Major was prominent on the east limb. First time I have had a proper look at it this apparition. Mare Serpentis snaked southwards from Syrtis Major, losing itself over the south pole. Further west across the disc Sinus Sabaeus showed some good detail with a darker nodule spotted dropping down on its northern side near the CM. Further west Sinus Meridani was seen as a darker spot.

To the south Mare Acidalium was just coming onto the disc. The NPC was quite well defined tonight, prob contrast with the shading over Borealis, which was quite noticeable. Also some fainter shading could be seen around the Arabia / Eden basin from close on the northern tip of Syrtis Major over the CM and moving up across the equator to join Sinus Sabaeus.

Other things of note were a darker nodule on the NPC boundary at the cusp of Mare Acidalium, and brighter regions - one to the east of Syrtis Major right on the limb, and the other immediately to the south of Sinus Sabaeus.

Overall a very impressive view of Mars tonight :)

Lovely drawing DarkerSky, the Syrtis Major is great.

Now with my smaller scopes, I've started to pick-up darker projections into the NPC, and a small but very bright circle

patch within the NPC. Mars is really putting on a show this year.

Archived