NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tycho?

BrownClaw

Went out for the first clear skies in weeks tonight and did some imaging; I actually ended up stopping my capturing early as a nice couple came over from across the street to see what I was up to. Neither of them had ever even looked through a scope before, so I ended up giving them the 'tour of the sky' talk, showing them the Moon, Pleiades, M42, etc etc. At one point the lady pointed at Mars and asked 'So, is that what they call the North Star?' :) They were both fascinated and the excitement they showed made the shortened viewing time well worth it ;)

ANNNNNNNNYWAY, all I managed tonight was the shot below. I dropped the gain right down on the camera (the moon is BRIGHT tonight), and flattened the contrast a little. I think it makes for a more natural shot (sometimes the results I get from tweaking too much look a little too CGI.)

Anyway, I got all confident and labelled it as Tycho, but to be honest I'm not completely sure that's what I've got. Anyone help me out?

brownclaw-albums-lunar-picture4052-tycho.jpg

Yes, the big bright fellah is Tycho. It's 85 Km. diameter, and covered in an ejecta blanket, and the bright rays streaming out are also ejected material from Tycho.

Nice when you are able to introduce non astronomers to some of the sky's wonders.

Ron.:)

Archived