Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lugging The Weight

Well, I managed a go with my 200P tonight in far less than favourable conditions, managed the moon through a few gaps in the cloud, (posted report in another thread) but this has now created a new question.

200P + EQ5 = Heavy [removed word]

So, when you're lugging your scope about, what's the usual method? Do you keep the tube detached from the mount and just cart each outside then put it back together? Do you go farther?

Also, the leg brace on the EQ5, do you keep it attached, just loosten it and give it a twist so you can collapse the legs part way in, or do you take it off completely and reassemble on patio/lawn etc.

Something else I noticed, dovetail, I would have thought it would be simpler to just loosten the bolts and 'slide' the tube out, but you can't, the bolts securing the dovetail block to the scope rings stops it, I take it this is to stop it crashing to the floor if you didn't tighten the dovetail bolts up enough, is that correct? However it's a bit fiddly manhandling a 200P into the dovetail on the mount, I'm so glad i didn't go for the 300!

Am i missing some really easy way of doing it here? I also suppose it's been tried, but if you take one of the weights off and slide the remaining one right to the end of the bar i bet it just doesn't quite balance the tube does it!

P.S is anyone selling any of them anti gravity lifters off star trek?

I've got the 300P and my setup and breakdown is as follows.

Setup legs, place mount on top and screw leg spreader/eyepiece holder into place. Then screw the dovetail and rings to top of mount and open the rings up, pop the four weights on and then clean and jerk the OTA up onto rings.

To breakdown its just the reverse so at the end of it I have the OTA, rings with dovetail, mount, legs, spreader and weights seperated. Its the only way I can do it.

I'd love to leave it setup but our garden is so small the dog would end up peeing on the tripod legs.....

As for the weights I'm not sure with the 200 but I have to use all four with the 300.

@Sly So you separate the legs, head, weights and spreader? I had mine just in 2 parts, tube with rings & dovetail attached, then tripod with head and weights still attached lol I just loostened the spreader and twisted it so it let me collapse the legs in about half way so i could get it through the door. Made for a fast setup though lol

Sure do, I have to carry it out the patio door, down the ramp to the middle level then down the steps to the lower level where I set my gear up. Its only about 20 feet but too much to do it in two trips.

I've got it down to a fine art now.....lol.

Mine is down a flight of steps too, been keeping the scope in the kitchen, wife was really pleased!

How long does it take you to learn where the 2 adjusting knobs are when you're looking in the eyepiece? i was doing a really good impression of Stevie Wonder doing a rubiks cube tonight feeling around for them!

Archived