SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help me choose an eyepiece

The bulk of my viewing is done with Baader Hyperion 21 and 13 mm eyepieces. The big letdown in my setup is my shorter focal length EP: I have a 6 mm EP which was okay when I first got it, but which looks notably poor compared to the Baaders, so I'd like to upgrade it.

The question is: would you recommend getting the 8 or the 5 mm Hyperion as my close-up EP? Obviously both can be barlowed, but which do you think I'd find most useful, in your experience?

Edit: Or, perhaps, the 4mm or 7mm Nirvana? Oh goodness, now I've decided to buy I'm wracked with indecision!

We are spoiled for choice these days. I have looked through some of the longer focal length Baader Hyperions, and they were rather good. If you like the ones you have, going for a shorter focal length Hyperion makes sense, because I think they are all parfocal, which is handy. The Nirvanas have the wider field of view, but I do not know how good they are (got a good press though). For planetary work however, I do not feel the need for a very wide FOV. I am quite happy with the 60deg offered by my Radian.

Given the F/5 speed of your scope, You need something like a 5mm to get good look at planets. You can get that through barlowing the 8mm, though. If you already have a (good quality) barlow this is certainly an option. However, for critical planetary observation, I still prefer NOT to use even a good barlow. However goo dthe modern ones are, extra glass costs light and tends to make the image slightly softer.

Personally, I would first go after a 4 or 5mm EP (with good eye relief) and only later fill the gap between the 13mm and the 4 or 5mm

I have the 5mm Baader and in my opinion its rather naff. Everyone seems to like the 13mm (which I also have) but opinions differ on the rest of the range.

Some people have used my 5mm and thought it good - I dont rate it much myself but that may be in part because sky conditions have never been kind to it.

Also despite its vast glass on the eyeball end its still a tiny lens at the other end and as a result requires you to look straight down or else the view blanks out. Dont assume it will be as comfy as a 13mm Hyperion because it wont be.

Given the cost of Baaders now (around £100) they are no longer the bargain they were a year or so back when they were £68.

If I were buying I'd go for a Nirvana or WO in that range. If its just planetary then orthoscopics are usually recommended but I cant cope with the small eye relief and pin hole type views.

Archived