Haze + Moon + Mars

I am very happy tonight.

I had my first properly satisfying view of Mars under hazy skies with a half moon overhead. The haze seemed to stop any wobbling or swimming at high mag enabling me to see the polar region in the north and the dark region just under that, plus the two darker regions in the south. Mars is now officially my favourite planet!!

The Moon was also amazing tonight; from the rugged craters at the terminator in the south to the silky smooth sea in the north. So much detail and absolutly no wobble at all - normally you have to wait for the few moments of stability but tonight the air was dead still - me and my friends were very very impressed. Haze can be such a blessing for moon + planets.

Bring on more hazy, stable planets and moon craters (unless I want to look at DSOs which were absolutly non existent toinight).

Ill be looking at Mars the rest of the week if the skies are clear. You should be as well!!

:)

Warren

also the haze got rid of all the purple chromatic abberation from the refractor!! liking the haze muchly!!

With my 5" and 6" refractors I've noticed that chromatic abberation is signficantly reduced once the tube and optics have fully cooled - I keep my scopes indoors and I reckon full cool down is taking an hour or more.

I was viewing Mars through light cloud last night and that did seem to help reduce CA as well, as you have noticed. I put this down to the subtle reduction in brightness that the cloud layer causes.

I've noticed that more than one SGL member has said that their best views of Mars were through light cloud or haze.

Viewing in twilight conditions can also help in this respect - for Venus and Jupiter particularly.

Well I hate you all! My brand new 200P, my first scope is still in my kitchen and it's been either cloudy or foggy since bought it!

Hey TopHouse, I hear ya!! Only been able to get my SkyScout Scope out 4 times since I got at Christmas, cos of the weather. When IS the weather gonna clear up?!? :)

TT123 xx

Archived