Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Noisy HEQ5 Pro

The Orbiter

My HEQ5 pro has recently got very noisy. The mount is ~ 18months old. It suffered from a couple of issues.

A coffe grinder noise which I managed to reduce by remeshing the worm gears.

More worrying, I also noticed that the stepper motors are also particularly noisy when 'GoTo slewing' (x9). :)

Has anyone here come across a similar issue., and possibly fixed it?

Also, does anyone know the make of those stepper motors?

Thanks in advance.

m

Mines never been THAT noisy but after a complete rebuild and tune its much quieter.

The rebuild got rid of all the drek inside it, allowed me to polish up the gubbins and grease with lithium grease and afterwards it was a lot smoother and quieter.

The motors always make a snarly noise as they start up in a fast slew though.

my celstron cg5 gt mount is fairly noisey but i have read on the net that you can clear out the old grease and re new with a product called "SUPERLUBE"

but i`ve never heard of it and am at a loss as to which product i should buy for the refurb as a google search has thown up a number of variants. here`s a link to my thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/95732-re-grease-cg5-gt-mount.html

any help also please

thanks Rob

RS components do the grease you refer to here Loctite | Workshop Consumables | Lubricants, Greases and Cutting Fluids | Precison Lubricants | Loctite Superlube® |399420

I just used white lithium grease (available from anywhere that does pushbikes) I figured if it kept the bearings in my old Raleigh going well for about 15 years in all weathers it should be ok for a telescope mount.

Archived