NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Pro mount problems

nathkrul

Hi Guys, So I've had my heq5 mount for just over 16months, I tuned the mount as soon as I got it to get rid of the coffee grind noise.

The mount has been working great, imaging and viewing, until last sunday and monday night, I noticed a tapping noise comming from the RA axis which got worse as it got cold, and when viewing, the stars were jerking sideways with each tapping noise.

Anyhow seems that the ra axis worm gear had become tight, you know how you loosen the 3 allen bolts off and using the 2 grub screws you can adjust the mesh of the worm gear, well somehow it was tight:icon_scratch:

So I've readjusted the mesh and re-done the stepper motor mesh, I put the mount out and 1 hour later tried it so far sweet as a nut, but it is strange how 16months later it became tight.

So if your mount begins to tap sweet music to you, you know what to do..:)

Colin

Hi,

I just set my HEQ5 with synscan, and the instructions said not to have the gears bight too tight, so I left a slight bit of slack. Slews a treat, but when it comes to a stop it makes a sound a bit like what you describe as a coffee grinder (at least the dog thought so - she was not happy...). Out of interest, when you tuned it to eliminate this, what did it involve?

M.

Hi m8, to stop the grind noise, This is for the RA axis, the DEC is more or less the same procedure. Take the side plate off, the one that covers the stepper motors, then notice that for each motor you have three allen bolts with 2 washers on and three without, loosen the three with washers and move the stepper motor away from the big brass cog (thats part of the worm gear).

You will now have to loosen the other three small allen bolts on the stepper motor bracket, leave one nipped up just a bit and move the stepper motor cog close to the other cog on the bracket, spin the cog by hand and make sure that it isnt too tight (and not slack), should feel just nice, don't screw the stepper motor bracket back yet, but tighten up the three small bolts.

That other cog the big one, the one seperate from the stepper motor bracket get hold of it and try to turn it, does it feel tight, stiff or slack? if its slack and there's a bit play in it before the weight arm moves, then it needs moving closer to its counterpart (cant remember what its called lol) anyhow look under the mount, see them three alen bolts the big shiny ones loosen them.

Look at where you plug in the power and handset in, under it are two possidrive screws, take them out, behind the power panel you'll see a small hole, inside that is a 2.5mm grub screw opposite it is another grub screw on the other side.

When you screw in the grub screw behind the power panel it will make the worm gear mesh closer, if you screw the grub screw in you have to unscrew its opposite screw out first, remember only use minute turns, after each adjustment check the big brass cog by turning it by hand, you dont want it too tight, but not too slack which would be worse.

When your happy with the adjustment you've made tighten the three big allen bolts back up and move the stepper motor unit against the other cog making sure the gear mesh isnt too tight, keep testing it by moving it by hand after, if its tight re adjust it, just take your time.

When you test it leave the side plate off, if it starts making loud clicks don't worry you've just made it too tight, just re-do it.

Most of all don't be afraid of doing it, these mounts are hard to break.

Here's a link to Melanies site, shes a member on here, she's done a strip down and rebuild on the mount.

HEQ5 Strip Down Guide

Colin

Archived