Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular Tripod Mount

Hi,

I'm about to start stargazing with a pair of Opticron 8x42 binoculars. If I like it I will move onto a scope or maybe bigger binoculars.

I have a camera tripod and want to get a binocular mount for it.

There seems to be quite a range - I have seen cheap plastic ones for around £5 and also these made by Opticron

Binocular Tripod Mounts

I'm leaning towards the Opticron but I have a dilemma about which to get.

Do I go for 31004 (which match my binoculars) or do I go for the bigger one, 31005, which would be suitable for bigger binoculars if I decide to go that way.

I initially thought the bigger ones, but I am confused by the design - the knob\screw are the opposite way around. Is this because the bigger scopes have a different attachment point?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

The larger one may need more clearance than your bins provide. Check with your supplier if that's what you decide to order.

The screw being the other way round looks odd, but maybe it has to do with the position of the centre of balance of the bins being forward of the front end of the focus bar when there is a big "overhang" caused by large objectives.

Many thanks.

There is no doubt that the 31004 is the best one for my bins - it's just that it wouldn't be suitable for objectives bigger than 50mm.

But I don't think I'll take the risk - just going with the smaller one.

Cheers,

Nigel

Archived