NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focus problem-Extension tube?

Hi folks

I have a Meade 10" SNT for imaging, but i wanted to try i for visual use as well until i complete my guiding setup. However none of my eyepieces will come to focus unless you hold them about an inch outside of the focuser! It has a Baader Steeltrack- because this is low profile, do i need an extension tube to use it visually?

Thanks

The 2" extender is the normal length needed. The cheapest 2" extender is OK but the brass compression ring part of it isn't exactly the highest quality (made from thin brass strip). The William Optics one is much better. The Moonlite one is a 1.5" extender.

With my Baader Steeltrack I use a Baader 2" SCT visual back with an SCT threaded nose-piece to make up a 2" extender, really solid with a bronze compression ring instead of just brass, although a more expensive alternative to the WO one.

John

Archived