NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eos 1000d has landed.....now which adaptors?

I stumped up for the standard 1000d kit with normal non-is lense as that really wasn't of much interest to me at this moment in time.

I won't however be modding this camera, well, not until the warranty has died :) which is hopefully long before the camera lol.

Next step is getting this thing mounted to the telescope, currently skywatcher 10" Dob on dob base. Now i understand i won't be able to take long exposures with this, so i have an EQ6 also which im the middle of getting the cash together to buy ota rings/dovetail and getting either the upgrade to goto or modding the handset via shoestring.

So my questions are....

As i don't want to waste cash buying the wrong adaptors n such, could anyone link me to the adaptors required to mount this baby to my scope via FLO?

Also what is the max exposure i can get with out a motorised mount and for later reference, on a standard eq6 non-goto?

Assuming a dual fit focusser, i.e. it'll take 2" fit, then I'd suggest one of Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor. I'm using one myself with my C80ED.

A non motorised mount, you can get good shots of the moon. I really doubt you'll be able to get much more than that, although with a webcam, the planets will be good too as long as you're reasonably careful, I'd think.

As for the max exposure unguided on an EQ6, that's rather harder, as conditions (wind etc) will be a factor, as will balance, and polar alignment. If I remember correctly, I think under optimal conditions and setup, 2 minutes is about the limit. I don't really know the capabilities of the mounts, but it might be better getting the Syntrek mount, rather than the ordinary mount, as I believe the motors and electronics are uprated (I could well be wrong on that one though).

Cheers for the quick reply, will have a nose at the link.

When you say unguided, how does that make a difference in comparison with using it on the dob base? i assumed that unguided means its not using motors so no tracking, which to me would also mean it stays in the same position so....wouldn't it be the same using the dob base? if it's 2mins at standstill on the eq6, surely it would be the same with the dob as neither move? well, not yet haha.

Ah... sorry... unguided is using the motors to drive the mount and track but without corrections. Guiding, using a second scope and camera to ensure spot on tracking (in theory :)) for much longer exposures. In tests, I've managed 20 minutes.

Archived