Portability

After searching for a telescope which is harder than i thought it would be i ve decided to go for 1 of these 2 either a Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope or celestron 6 se.Any one know which is more portable and easier to set up when you get it out the car and to maintain easy.Thanks

The 6SE. The tube is much shorter.

Though the XT8i can fit the back seat of a regular to small car. I have the later and am very pleased with it.

Interestingly my choice was between the XT8i and the 8SE, as I don't need to transport the scope I went for the XT8i which was cheaper for the same aperture.

The 6SE is IMHO more practical at higher magnification - it's a super little scope & performs well on most subjects, but the larger Dob will beat it on DSOs where light grasp is critical. The Dob setup will be faster - if you can avoid having to collimate it - but the 6SE doesn't take an age to set up, the collimation should hold well & the gotos should be pretty accurate once you have the beast trained (mostly a matter of your discipline!)

Sorry not to be very helpful but I'd find this choice hard to make myself. Brain says the Cat, heart says the Dob.... one of each I suppose :)

Archived