Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Considering dabbling with imaging.

Johnny Thunder

Hi everyone.

As per title, I am considering having a go at imaging. I am basically after any advice and opinion on how I could possibly go about it.

To start, I will be using my dslr which is a Nikon D300. I also have my old Canon 350D which could be used.

At the moment we only have one scope, the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian.

Could you give me your opinions on what you think would be my best route, whether it is a mount for the current scope, or a new scope and mount combination. Also, what would realistically be achievable with these combinations? Would I be limited to Lunar and Planetary, or would Deep Sky be possible?

Thank you in advance.

Hi johnny

I started out with the 250px dobsonian. I then mounted it and used my Canon 400D to capture most of my deep sky images. In order to do photography you do need a hefty mount to keep this tube sturdy. Nothing less than an EQ6 or EQ6 Synscan Pro is up to the job for this size scope in my opinion. If I was solely in to imaging I would have preferred a 200p rather than the 250 because its simply a more manageable size, however I do like observing too and large aperture matters in that department :).

As for what is it capable of imaging? Well with the right adaptors pretty much everything. Moon, Planets (using webcam) and deep sky. Deep sky imaging is limited by how well polar aligned your mount is and the tracking accuracy of it. Guiding can fix this and open up a whole load more deep sky objects to image but I wouldn't run before you can walk. This imaging malarky was a steap learning curve for me. As a guide.. all my images on that page below the 3 images M31, M13 and M45 in 2008 were unguided just relying on the accuracy of my mount.

Any more questions please ask away :-)

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for your reply Matt.

Is the EQ6 Pro Syncscan my best option, or would it be worthwhile considering a new scope/mount combo?

If I do go for the EQ6, how much extra would I have to spend on other equipment etc. to get myself up and running.

BTW, you can see the vast improvement in your imaging in such a short space of time.

Dear Johnny,

I am also in the very gentle foothills of the imaging mountain. What I have done is read a lot and looked at the images people produce. What is clear is that there are very many ways of getting stunning images.

Linking a point and shoot camera to a telescope eyepiece can produce remarkable results through afocal astrophotography.

You can piggy-back a dlsr with a telephoto lens on a guided mount, whether alt-az or equatorial and get amazing views.

You can use an alt-az mount with a DSLR with shorter sub-frames and stack them in software like Deep-Sky Stacker and produce beautiful images (This is the route I am following at the moment). Or use a well set up and guided equatorial mount for longer exposures.

People do deep sky work as well as planetary with modified webcams and adapted security cameras like the Mintron

A book like Michael Covington's "Digital SLR Astrophotography" explains many methods and gives procedures and examples. Or look at Steve Richards "Make Every Photon Count". These books are both inspiring and give hope and practical advice.

My conclusion is that there are people out there making images to excite the imagination using every type of scope, every type of mount and every type of camera.

I'd check out a couple of books and then think hard about your preferred targets, the seeing at your observing site, how much time you have, and the depth of your pocket. Somewhere there is an approach that is perfect for you.

old_eyes

Archived