Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 3rd January 2010 - evening

dweller25

Mars drawn at 23:30UT at an altitude of 40 degrees.

Seeing III with moments of IV.

CM = 259'

Takahashi FS128 refractor plus binovewer at x238.

Notes :

Syrtis Major easily seen to the North of the drawing along with Mare Tyrrhenum and Mare Serpentis. Hellas looked quite dim.

A very obvious bright edge to the limb of Mars to the East of the drawing.

Aetheria could occasionally be see when the seeing improved.

Utopia and Nilosyrtis easily seen to the South of the drawing bordering the Polar ice cap.

This is the best view of Mars I have ever had.

post-13701-133877418287_thumb.jpg

Once again an excellent sketch, David.

I haven't had the opportunity to observe Mars again since New Years eve, but, as you are aware, that evening was the best I have seen Mars to date.

I believe Mars comes to oppostion at the end of this month. If the weather and seeing are favourable, I must try and look at it again and perhaps try and capture some images with the Neximage (I'm afraid my drawing skills are no where the equal of yours). :)

Brinders

Nice detail there dweller25. I had my classic 80mm f/15 scope out last night and had a wonderful view of the red planet.

On my drawing, I too have picked-up the limb brightening, and like you say, Hellas is not as bright.

I wonder why Hellas seems to have faded in intensity, I have read recently about recent dust storms in the Hellas basin I wonder if

these could be the reason?

Archived