New to Astronomy and looking for advice.

Hi there,

I am new to Astronomy and after looking through this site I have developed a desire to jump in with both feet.

What sort of equipment would I be looking at to be able to take stunning images like the ones above from the POW.

If you could let me know I can then work out a shopping list and get started, I would like to view the telescope through my PC rather than an eye piece if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

I'm not an imager and I'm sure they will chip in soon on the equipment side - astro imaging is generally more expensive than visual observing I believe.

What they might be too modest to say is that equipment is only one part of the equation. The superb images you see are the product of loads of time and experience, dozens of hours both capturing and processing the images and often years learning the craft.

As well as the potential rewards, astro imaging can provide much frustration as well - but it is addictive so I'm told.

It's certainly not "point and shoot !" - I'm sure you realised that though :hello2:

What they might be too modest to say is that equipment is only one part of the equation. The superb images you see are the product of loads of time and experience, dozens of hours both capturing and processing the images and often years learning the craft.

As well as the potential rewards, astro imaging can provide much frustration as well - but it is addictive so I'm told.

It's certainly not "point and shoot !" - I'm sure you realised that though :hello2:

Indeed, I would not expect to shoot such fantastic images as the ones above but would like to aspire to someday be able to :)

There's a bunch of equipment and options for imaging. But here's a list of what I reckon would be a good start:

1. A very good mount - EQ rather than AltAz (though can get a wedge for an AltAz)

2. A telescope of course - lots of opinions on what is best. I use a 10" reflector.

3. A camera - a dedicated ccd is probably the best but they come at a cost. A DSLR is a good way to start.

4. Some software that can process 16bit images - something like Photoshop or PixInsight.

5. Then there's guiding to think about.

Sam

My list would be;

HEQ5 mount, Skywatcher ED80 refractor, junkbox guidescope, Orion Starshoot or similar autoguider, AstroArt software to control it and a camera. I would go for a CCD rather than a DSLR. I have a prototype Atik 320E here at the moment and that will not be too far from DSLR money. It is designed to be all computer controlled and in my view is easier to learn than all that's needed to make DSLRs behave at night!

Courses are available in the UK via Ian King Imaging and would be a near essential.

Olly

Thanks for the advice guys, I will certainly take it all on board.

Quick question, can this all be controlled remotely via computer, my plan is to get the kit I need, build and obs in the garden and sit in my study and control it all :) As I said I like to jump in with both feet :)

Thanks again.

Ian

Archived